Catastrophe Insurance

Catastrophe insurance is insurance to protect business and residences against natural disasters (that are extremely severe) like earthquakes or floods.  The insurance industry recognizes a catastrophic event as one that will result in $25 million or more in insurance claims.  Individual insurance companies may set up special claims processing centers and send in additional, specially trained “catastrophe” claims adjusters to the scene of the catastrophe. These types of catastrophic events are not covered by homeowners insurance, so you would need to have separate catastrophic insurance policies for losses due to these types of natural disasters.  

Catastrophic insurance policies usually have a very high deductible and are intended to provide financial protection to the insured against unlikely, but severe events, such as floods and earthquakes.  Flooding is the most common type of natural disaster and is excluded under most standard homeowners policies.  Your car is covered though, if you purchase comprehensive coverage on most standard auto policies.  If you live in a high-risk flood plain and your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program or NFIP (administered by the federal government), you can buy special flood insurance through Carriage Insurance.


Washington is ranked 5 out of 51 and is one of the states most likely to experience an earthquake.  Movements of the earth are not included in most standard homeowners policies.  Earthquakes can cause a lot of destruction, including cracking gasoline or water or sewer lines.  An earthquake can cause collapse, fire or flood depending on what it destroys.  Carriage Insurance wants to make sure that you are covered in the event of an earthquake and that you know how to be prepared.

What does Earthquake insurance cover?

How can you prepare for an earthquake?

How can you protect yourself during an earthquake?

What do you do after an earthquake?


A flood can happen just about anywhere and just because your house has not flooded yet, does not mean that it won’t.  Excessive rainfall can cause widespread flooding. If you live in a flood prone area your mortgage company may require you to carry flood insurance.  Our team at Carriage Insurance want to be sure that you are prepared for any unforeseen events that could affect you and your family during a flood.  

Are you protected?

What do you need to do to make sure you have the coverage you need?

How can you prepare for a flood?

What can you do during and after the flood?


The western part of the United States is notorious for summer wildfires, however wildfires are a nationwide occurrence.  In regions with high temperatures and dry weather, homeowners who live in heavily wooded areas are at a much higher risk of wildfire damage to their home.  The Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) reports that the U.S. sees an average of 100,000 wildfires each year, which burn over 4 million acres of land. Carriage Insurance wants to help you be prepared for wildfire by providing simple information to help you to understand your coverage and prevent losses.

What can you do to protect yourself and your home from the risk of wildfire?  

Does your homeowners policy cover wildfires? 

How can you slow a wildfire headed toward your home?

How can you help firefighters save your home?

How do you file a wildfire claim?


If you live in the Western United States and along the Pacific Coast, you are most at risk for earthquakes and wildfires and heavy winter storms can lead to flooding, especially if you live near a body of water, downstream from a dam, or in a low-lying area.  Wildfires can happen anywhere, but are the most common in the west.  The risk of property damage is higher near wilderness areas or if a home is in a forested area.  Droughts make the situation worse and once a wildfire has begun, it can spread quickly in unpredictable ways.  No matter where your home is located there is the possibility of several natural disasters.  Since not all perils will be covered in a standard homeowners policy, you should become familiar with additional catastrophe insurance policies available in your area.  You should have catastrophe insurance if you live in an area that is likely to have certain types of natural disasters such as earthquakes or floods. Flood and Earthquake coverage could save your house and protect your financial situation!  If your home has been destroyed or seriously damaged, your Carriage Insurance agent will do everything possible to make sure your claim is given priority.