A 2009 survey shows that identity theft is on the rise – and it’s more likely to start with a stolen wallet than an online phishing expedition.
Researchers at Javelin Strategy & Research reported that the number of identity theft cases increased 22 percent to 9.9 million in 2008.
Crimes of opportunity, such as stolen wallets, represented 43 percent of cases, compared to 33 percent in 2007, indicating an increase in the desperation of criminals.
Women were 26 percent more likely to be victims of identity theft, reporting a higher incidence of lost or stolen information during purchases in stores.
Only 11 percent of cases involved online access.
The smartest way to protect yourself from identity theft is to prevent it from happening to you
. Smart preventative habits can help lessen problems and prepare you to act quickly if your identity is stolen.
- Leave your social security card at home in a safe place.
- Photocopy both sides of your credit cards and keep them in a secure place.
- Shred papers with personal information.
- Carry only the credit cards that you need.
- Review your balances and transaction often.
- Make sure that every transaction on your credit card statement is accurate.
- Get a FREE credit report with Experian, Transunion and Equifax.
If your identity is stolen, you’ll be able to lessen problems by acting quickly:
- Call your credit card companies immediately. Explain what happened, and ask where to send a copy of the police report.
- Call and report to the police. Make several copies of police report.
- Complete a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Theft Affidavit and FTC report (call 1-887-ID-THEFT to request the forms).
- Call your bank. They can place an alert on your Driver's License number and Social Security Number, and freeze your account.
- Call fraud units of credit report agencies: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.
Identity Protection for you and your family.
Carriage Insurance now represents LegalShield so that we can offer our clients peace of mind. LegalShield has a unique network of dedicated law firms that cover our client’s legal needs and provide a high quality customer experience. Through LegalShield, the law firms are prepaid, so their sole focus is on serving our clients rather than billing them. LegalShield provides Legal Plans, Identity Theft Plans and Small Business Legal Plans.
Identity Theft Plans
LegalShield offers two top-of-the-line identity theft protection plans to help protect and restore your identity. LegalShieldIdentity Theft Plan provides standard identity monitoring and the Identity Theft Premium Plan has more comprehensive monitoring. Best of all, both services provide Comprehensive Identity Restoration from Kroll Advisory Solutions, an industry leader in identity restoration. Our plans cover such things as:
- Credit, internet and public record monitoring
- Comprehensive Restoration
- Unlimited consultation on identity theft matters
- Coverage for member, spouse and up to 8 dependents
So in the unfortunate event something does happen to your identity, you’ll have professional help in getting your identity restored to what it was before the fraud occurred. To ensure you have the best coverage possible, the LegalShield plans include you, your spouse and up to 8 dependent children under the age of 18.
Learn About Our Identity Theft Plans
For as little as $14.95 a month you can have the peace of mind that you and your spouse are protected from identity theft.
If you’re interested in learning more, call Jody Runge at Carriage Insurance at 425-641-5066 or email@example.com.